Saturday, 18 March 2017

V-Stitch Crochet Baby Blanket

It's time to show you the completed baby blanket I was working on a few weeks back.  I made the whole blanket, from start to finish, in a week (including working full-time).  This is by far the quickest I've ever finished a blanket - I didn't think I had it in me!  (I think aran yarn, a 6mm hook, and v-stitch are a speedy combo!)


Looking for a quick and cute free pattern for a baby blanket?  Try this colourful unisex v-stitch crochet blanket!

The inspiration for the colour scheme is explained in this post.


Looking for a quick and cute free pattern for a baby blanket?  Try this colourful unisex v-stitch crochet blanket!

It is made with v-stitch, which is a great stitch.  This is my method, although the v-stitch pattern isn't mine.  I just want to have a reference in case I'd like to remember what I did in future!

V-Stitch = [dc, ch, dc] into same space/stitch

  • Chainless foundation of 113, plus 3 ch.
  • V-stitch into top of last chainless foundation st you made, *skip 2 st, v-stitch* until there is one st remaining, dc into last st, ch 3 and turn.
  • v-stitch into each ch space of previous row (into the middle of the v-stitch), dc into top of ch 3, ch 3 and turn.
Order:  2 rows white, 6 rows colour, ending on 2 rows white and a row of sc to mirror the sc row which is automatically part of the chainless foundation row to start.

Edges:
  • sc in white along both edges - 2 sc over each final/starting dc/ch 3 of the rows.  This gave a neat straight finish.  Because the v-stitch is a holey design, you can sc over the side stitches, rather than try to sc into them, as there are gaps there anyway, so you are not creating unsightly gaps.
  • 2 rows of v-stitch in white.
  • 1 row of sc in white.
Border:
  • 1 round of sc in green.
  • 1 round of crab stitch in green.


Looking for a quick and cute free pattern for a baby blanket?  Try this colourful unisex v-stitch crochet blanket!


This is the first time I've tried crab stitch, and I love it!  It is basically sc working backwards, instead of working into the stitch to your left, you work into the stitch to your right.  It feels a bit awkward to do, but the effect is great.  It's got a bit of substance and really finishes the blanket off nicely - it seems like a real edge.

The reason I picked green, was that the green bands of colour were the only ones which were equidistant from each end of the blanket.  I considered going for blue, as I love blue, but I thought it might look odd on the edge of the blanket which starts with a blue stripe.  The colour looks more evenly distributed with the green.


Looking for a quick and cute free pattern for a baby blanket?  Try this colourful unisex v-stitch crochet blanket!


DETAILS

Yarn
Paintbox Simply Aran:
   Sky Blue (238)
   Daffodil Yellow (221)
   Spearmint Green (225)
   Mandarin Orange (217)
   Paper White (200) - x 2
Stylecraft Special Aran:
   Pomegranate (1083)

Hook
6mm

Dimensions
approx: 26.5 inches x 37.5 inches
approx: 67cm x 95cm 

What I'd do differently:
I'd start and end with colour, instead of the white.  This way I could work the white v-stitch edging all the way round the blanket, rather than adding just the two side edges afterwards.
I'd also make it a bit wider, as it may look a little too thin for the length.


Looking for a quick and cute free pattern for a baby blanket?  Try this colourful unisex v-stitch crochet blanket!


Looking for a quick and cute free pattern for a baby blanket?  Try this colourful unisex v-stitch crochet blanket!




Check out my other completed crochet items here.

Like what you see?  Follow me on bloglovin!


10 comments:

  1. Love it, so bright and happy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - it is rather cheerful! :)

      Delete
  2. V-stitch must be next on my list. Too bad I did not think about that for MIL's blanket! I used the crab stitch for one blanket as well. When you overcome the backwards crocheting it is great! Lovely blanket Maria, I am sure it will be loved!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. V-stitch is a fun stitch, I really like it! You'll definitely have to try it! I remember you using the crab stitch on the grey and cream (I think?) blanket - it looked really good. It's such a nice edging! xx

      Delete
  3. I love crab stitch for the edge of a baby blanket. It feels quite unisex I think. Your blanket looks fab. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! I was so pleased with the effect it gave. I agree, it is quite unisex. A lot of borders can be a bit too frilly and girly, but this one is a great edging for all. x

      Delete
  4. Would love to try this. You suggested making it wider - how many more foundation stitches would you add? Increment of 2? Did you have much yarn left over to accommodate this or would a person need to buy more yarn?


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb - I had quite a bit of yarn left over from this - you can see a picture of the leftovers in this post: http://dinkidots.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/stash-busting-wip-finishing-2017-janfeb.html

      The only one which was nearly finished was the green, from doing the border which used quite a lot.

      Regarding making it wider - you just need to ensure that your total number of stitches is a multiple of 3, then with 2 added stitches. For example I did 113 which is 3 x 37 = 111. 111 + 2 = 113. It's hard to say how much more you'd need really. Maybe another 15. That would be 128 stitches (3 x 42 + 2 = 128). You would then do your 3 ch stitches after the 128 foundation stitches, before doing your first v-stitch. It might be worth trying it and seeing how it looks, though - also different tensions can make all the difference - I have a tight tension.

      I hope this helps!
      Maria

      Delete
  5. I have enjoyed making this blanket and the colors are great. The yarn was nice to work with, but I have one question. First I did everything making each color row twice, way to long. Then I pulled out the second rows and only used each color once.This is a better size and I did use 6mm/J crochet hook.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...